PROMONTORY, Utah, Aug. 14 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Alliant Techsystems (NYSE: ATK) Space Systems and NASA will make history on August 27 as the new Ares I five-segment first stage is tested, marking the start of a new era of space exploration.
What: Horizontal ground test firing of Ares I first stage
UPDATED date: Thursday, August 27, 2009*
Time: 1 p.m. MDT
Where: ATK Space Systems facility in Promontory, Utah
*The new date allows key NASA and ATK personnel to support this test and the upcoming STS-128 space shuttle Discovery mission, targeted for August 24.
- A total of 46 design objectives will be measured through 650 instrument channels
- The Ares I design is based on the design of the space shuttle's four-segment booster
- The addition of the fifth segment will increase the maximum thrust performance to approximately 3.6 million pounds
- The first stage of Ares I has been under development since 2005, it measures 12 feet in diameter and 154 feet in length.
- The cases have previously flown on the space shuttle, collectively launching 48 missions--including STS-1.
- Public viewing area is available for first come along State Road 83 past Corinne, Utah.
Note to Editor:
- Media passes are required in order to view the test
- Foreign requests must be submitted by 4 p.m., August 18, 2009
- All other media requests must be submitted by 4 p.m., August 24, 2009
- Remote still cameras will need to be approved in advance and set-up the day prior to the test
- Reporters will need to be on site by 9 a.m. the day of the test
- The media will be located in a viewing site optimal for photos and video. Reporters will be escorted to conduct interviews and view the motor up close prior to the test
- Upon request, reporters may view the motor after the firing
- Broadcast: Live equipment needs to be scheduled in advance to arrange for parking
- Satellite coordinates for downlink will be available
For more information and to request a media pass, contact Trina Patterson (801) 699-0943 email@example.com
Trina Patterson George Torres
Cell: 801-699-0943 Cell: 801-699-2637
email: firstname.lastname@example.org email: email@example.com